Friday, September 10, 2010

Sherry Sexton of Imagine Coaching - Featured Friday

Imagine Coaching founder Sherry Sexton has a broad and deep background in business.  I had a chance to interview her recently and was truly inspired by her insight into women and their issues in business and with money.
Sherry is currently taking nominations for women to have a chance to work with her Paying it Forward program.   You nominate another women entrepreneur and she gets a one hour phone coaching session with Sherry - talk about generous. 

What do you know now that your wish you knew before you started this business?
The fancy website and tri-fold glossy brochure were totally unnecessary- who was I trying to impress?
That I would have asked for more help from others- not go it alone!
Lastly, that it was ok to keep a day job and start my company part-time

Do you trust your intuition…what happened when you ignored it….or embraced it?
Try to trust my intuition most of the time- if I ignore it, I may work with a client who was not a good fit and tends to create more negatively in my life- which I try to avoid.
When I embrace it the possibilities are endless.

What mentors or role models have inspired you?
Personally, I am an avid Oprah fan in regards to helping other women and making a difference in the world
Professionally, the many coaches who have guided me along my path, especially best- selling author, Robyn Spizman and my greatest mentor and close friend Mike Michalowicz, author of The Toilet Paper Entrepreneur.

Do you have any streamlining or systems in place?
Still learning that lesson- I use Constant Contact to keep in touch with clients, excel spreadsheets to retain new client database, and excited to start a new blog service- http://www.blogstampede.com/.
Oh, and did I forgot to mention my personal assistant who helps me both physically and virtually.

What personality trait serves you best in business?
Tenacity - never, never, never give up on your dream.

Are you better at collaborating or going it alone?
Absolutely better at collaborating, I totally promote co-affiliations and joint ventures to my clients.  Mainly to ensure you are on track and have someone to help with your projects. Everyone wins- those collaborating and the clients as well!

What was your business before you were a coach?  Why did you know you wanted to be a coach?
I was in sales and marketing for over 20 years, went back to school at a mature age, hired by major pharmaceutical company but knew there would come a day when I would not want to jump in and out of a car everyday.   I was always searching for my passion and interested in helping others, so while working my day job in pharmaceuticals, I decided to pursue a masters degree in mental health with plans to be a therapist. After graduation, I met a coach and felt that would be a better fit for me- helping others find their passion!

Fave Song and why?

Wind Beneath my Wings - unconditional love and support between women.
Fave Book and why?

Of course, mine, The T-Shirt to Prove it!- because it speaks to the journey of 25 passionate women entrepreneurs, their successes as well as their challenges

Fave Movie and why?
A Beautiful Mind - because I believe in the impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment