Friday, September 17, 2010

The Power Chicks' Founder Lynn Baldwin Rhoades as Featured Friday

As this week's Featured Friday interview Lynn Baldwin Rhoades shares her inspiration and challenges with us when starting out as an entrepreneur.   Lynn is a smart writer who really delivers for women with Marketing Shebang and appeals to women entrepreneurs with The Power Chicks. 



What was your motivation to start The Power Chicks?

I was a new business owner myself and leapt out of a corporate environment, not prepared to be an entrepreneur. So I wanted to get a small group of women together to network, support each other, and help each other find resources. But the “small” Power Chicks group got super-big…so many women needed the same kind of support I wanted, too.

What do you know now that you wish you would have known before starting The Power Chicks?
How much my own individual need would be mirrored or shown in other’s lives. Power Chicks is in about 10 countries – and there are around 3,000 members. The majority is in the US and small group in Canada and the rest across the globe.

Have you had any mentors or role models?
I confess I’m a full-fledge “online stalker” – I watch and learn from what others are doing. I’ve been watching Lisa Rankin of Owning Pink for a long time; I love what she’s doing in her authentic manner. As for “real-life” mentors, I’m looking for one. I think we all need mentors.

As your business grows, how do you get it all done?  Do you have any systems or streamlining in place?
I have a lot on my plate, and I am not very organized. I actually get quite blocked with the chaos of it all! In the next several months, I’m determined to find new strategies – ways I can accomplish my goals without being so mucked up in the details that sap time.

What personality trait serves you best in The Power Chicks?
I think being real. Being honest. Although, this can make me feel vulnerable sometimes!
I was on the Sisters of Sizzle radio show yesterday and shared a story about being insecure at a women’s networking event. Afterwards, I thought, “Why did I share that?” I didn’t let my brain take me down that slippery slope of self-criticism, but I do think because I’m willing to be open, people can relate to me. I mean – don’t we all have those moments? And at the end of the day, I want to see us all succeed at our biggest dreams; who we’re supposed to be...and not just our businesses.

Did you dream of being an entrepreneur?
No, I was going to be a nurse, a missionary, a firefighter and then a writer -- which I ended up being.

How much do you trust your intuition in your business world?
I go back and forth a bit…some days I trust myself a great deal and other days, not so much. I do know the more grounded I am, the more I trust what I have to offer the world.

Are you more of a collaborator or more of a go-it alone gal?
I’m actually both. I’m introverted at heart, which means I process things individually in my own head. I need to come to my own solutions, so in that way I’m “go it alone.” But as for collaborating, I love working with people. I have certain strengths and you have certain strengths, and when we come together, we are that much more powerful.


Favorite Movie : The Whale Rider, because it makes me cry. Gran Torino, because it makes me think. 50 First Dates, because it makes me laugh.

Favorite Song: I don’t have one.  I do enjoy music, but rarely remember the names of the songs!

Favorite Book: Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment