Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Susan Anderson owner of Forza Coffee Fisher Plaza

Please meet the incredible Susan Anderson of Forza Coffee.   Her high energy and spirit bring customers back again and again.  Check out her Facebook page and hit the LIKE button. 

What got you into the coffee business?
I worked for UPS for 25 yrs and went to Starbuck’s quite a bit.   And then down in Puyallup  a Forza Coffee opened about four years ago.   I went there quite a bit, they made me feel important and then when I tasted their coffee I thought "Wow, this is great." And it was the place to be…near high schools, churches, and I thought “I want to own one of these”….it just felt right....I just said it to myself.
About a year ago the Puyallup Forza Coffee put out a sign “Looking for Franchise Opportunities"  and for 2 weeks I walked by it and memorized the phone number and kept thinking about it.
So I took one of my co-workers to get their opinion and he was impressed too when the baristas knew my name and my drink.  Not only did he think it was a good idea but he wanted to be my business partner. We’d been in negotiation and were looking for the right location when the economy started tanking and we couldn’t get a bank loan. We tried six different banks with no luck.
We were going to be the first Forza in King County and were trying to move forward but then the officers were killed in Lakewood and nothing happened for a month.  It was a sad time for everyone associated with Forza Coffee.
Then in December we got a call from Fisher Plaza that not only are they a huge supporters of law enforcement,  they want a Forza Coffee in their building.   It was a remodel and not a build out so we could get into for a lot less.   And my business partner and I said YES!

What do you know now that you wish you knew before you moved in?
Perhaps doing more Due Diligence....it’s be a bit tougher without neighborhoods, churches, schools, but on the other hand the location cost us so much less and we’ve only been here for six months so we’re trying different marketing methods.  We thought being across from the Space Needle we’d be busier than we are. 

Do you have any mentors or role models that inspire you?
I was in management at UPS but I never consciously thought about it...

In your business how do you get it all done?
That’s what I’m in the process of working on.  I live in Puyallup and I work long hours and I’m trying to do it all myself but it’s just too much.  The more I work the less I have to pay out but I need to make a change.

What personality trait serves you best in business?
My nature is to make people feel good and this is a perfect job.  I welcome people and make them feel good like they’re at home.

How much do you trust your intuition?
I’m learning that right now…the timing of opening this…I’m learning that trusting your intuition is important.

Are you more of a collaborator or go it alone gal?
A collaborator..I was doing it all and trying to please everybody and now I'm enjoying collaborating.   My business partner does negotiations and finances because he also works full time.

What’s your fave movie?   Rudy or Field of Dreams…The Princess Bride,  Pride and Prejudice.

What’s your fave book?  The Gospel according to Starbucks by Leonard Sweet 
Fave song?  Music plays such a strong place in my life…Snow Patrol "You Could be Happy"


No comments:

Post a Comment