Friday, August 27, 2010

Lynnel Jones of Bien Ella Skincare

WooHoo...this is the first Featured Friday.  We'll be interviewing and recording fabulous women business owners and sharing their stories with you. 

As the founder and head developer of BienElla Skincare, Lynnel Jones, is developing cutting edge formulas for organic, clean skincare including SunCare and Bug Repellent, doctor recommended Healing Hands Balm and best selling Eczema Butter (BTW, it's not just for eczema). 


She started because a family member had a severe burn injury and had trouble healing...son had super sensitive skin...eczema and pediatrician support.  Friends also needed creams for their babies....packaging has been revamped over and over.

Q: What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?

A: How expensive really good ingredients are...refined white cocoa butter, shea butter, mango butter...oils from a tribe in the Amazon rain forest, lavender and spearmint are local; sea buckthorn is amazing and it kills cancer cells on the surface...a surgeon read my labels at one of the Saturday markets and said one of her nurses used it on her skin.
Tamanu  is a wound healer...case studies show that when applied to new injuries the scars will be less red and angry.  There are amazing healing properties throughout nature...


Q: What mentors or role models have you had on your journey with Bien Ella?

A: I haven't had any...that's the kind of person I am.  I do my own research until I get my answer.   Some of my suppliers have given me industry information...like fragrance oils contain phalates which can be endrocine disruptors causing abnormal development.  Uncharted properties....so I don't go there.

Q: In an effort to get it all done, have you developed any streamlining or systems?

A: I use QuickBooks and it's fabulous. I send invoices, retailers estimates and then invoices from that.  Takes a bit to get going...QB's support is not very helpful...

I use a To-Do List...it gives me a sense of accomplishment every time I cross something off...it looks like I'm getting stuff done.  Have an IN and OUT basket.  Make sure your filing system is flawless.  January 1st have your files set up and then you dont' have to think about it.  Think years ahead... if you're ever in an audit you'll find what you need.

Q: As a child did you dream you would own your own business?

A: Yes, my grandmother reminded me that I was going own things and my dad reminded me I would say "Take a memo".    Cracks me up that I have a degree in Economics and when I was eight years old I got the Barbie perfume maker.  How fortuitous is that???  Hilarious

Q: How much do you trust your intuition?

I have to.  I made huge mistakes not listening to my gut and making decisions based on trusting other people ...I find that when I building a new scent I go with whatever my gut tells me to grab. .if I start over analyzing I ruin it.

Customers feedback...I'm always available by email...I want to hear from my customers and I mean it.  I have customers for life....I started Bien Ella 8 years ago and I have customers from right after I started  back when I had screwball packaging...everything has changed and improved over the years.

Bien Ella loosely translated in Spanish is "Good for Her"  and we all know that "If Mama not happy ain't nobody happy"....so make your mama happy and take care of your skin.

Contact BienElla for their weekly market schedule and shop at their online store.

No comments:

Post a Comment